Prelim Task

AS Openning Sequence

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Q.6 Evaluation

Q6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
In constructing our product I used a lot of technologies. The first piece of technology I used was a Cannon camera xAHI this piece of equipment is the most important in making a film, without it you couldn’t record any pictures.  The quality of the camera is of a high standard I really enjoyed using it because it is compact, portable and reasonably easy to operate. The downfall to this piece of equipment is that the battery life is not great, in that it dies easily. Also the camera movement is not smoothest and it can be difficult to keep up with human movement so we began to line up the shots so the actor can walk into the space of the camera, which made it easier to catch the actor’s movement. We learnt to use this piece of technology in lessons and through our Preliminary task where we made a short scene. We also used a clapper board which is not very hi-Tec but it is very helpful in making a film. The main role of a clapper board is to act like a bookmark, so when it comes to editing you don’t have go through hours of film just look at the start of a scene and see if it was a good take or not. It is pretty easy to use these pieces of equipment you just have to write what shot, scene and take it is on the board and hold it up in view of the camera, and clap it after every shot. The only real negative I found was that it is tiring, and a boring job. For sound we used a windshield system which is a container used for the microphone when filming, it is also used as form protection from wind for the microphone. Attached to this a boompole which is used to hold the microphone it is nice, long, and handy to collect the slightest forms of sound with out being in the picture. It is very easy to use but it is tiring to have to hold it up and keep it still for long periods of time. In the windshield system is a Seinsheise microphone which is used to magnify sound while recording. There are many benefits of using a microphone such as it gives you clearer sound, and it picks up even little pieces of sound. The only real negative is that it picks up sounds you don’t want but are beyond your control. For the positing of the camera we used a          lipec sl200 tripod which is like a triangular based pole. It is good and crucial in making a film because you have to set your spirit level which means your camera is level when filming. A tripod gives you steady pictures, which your hands couldn’t give you. It is easy to position and it left me more time to think about the technical side of boxing, than worry if I’m holding the camera still. It is a great piece of technology but it becomes annoying when you have to keep packing it down, then putting it back up and also then checking the spirit level.
When it came to the post production the editing software I used was Adobe premier c54, and Adobe aftereffects. Adobe premier was the piece of editing software I used. I had been taught through previous lessons and our Preliminary task how to use the software so I was accustomed to it. I needed to use this software because I needed to edit, editing is very important  it gives you a chance to add special effects, titles, and music and without out film is just a bunch of rushes that are not necessary in order or make sense. The benefits of this software are that there are a lot of effects and it is relatively easy to operate. The only real negative is that the editing on this software is time consuming, but I feel that’s with all film editing software. I have learnt that editing is very frustrating and that it is always good to have a break every 45minutes to refresh your brain and take your mind off it.  The only other editing software I used was an Adobe aftereffect which was used in making my production name which is ‘FaithFilms’. 
The filming techniques I have learnt during this production are endless; I learnt things like shot reverse shots to show reactions which are useful while filming conversations, panning shots to establish things or to show something to a deeper depth for longer. I also learnt about the over the shoulder shot, reaction shots, and the purpose of cut away’ s in a film which is to stop the viewers from getting board of watching one thing, tilts for more interesting angles and positions, low angle to create power in a actor/actress or thing and the necessity of having total shot of every scene.

The editing techniques I have learnt are to a cut and clips and put them into order, I have learnt how to use and apply different to a film and the benefits they give. I also know how to raise and lower different the elements of sound via sound mixer. I also know how to use the black and white effect which is one the effects we used in our film, I used this to make our film look scarier, depressing, and boring. I learnt how to add in and take out shots and graphics in my film, which I did a lot in my production especially when I inserted my production name which was done on another piece of software (Adobe After effects). I also learnt how to digitize clips and put them unto the computer software, throughout this task I have learnt and acquired bundles of skills and techniques.
The key lessons I have learnt while using the technology and equipment are that at times as good as technology is it can its problems and at times it can be temperamental, for example the camera could just not turn, and the spirit level can just feel impossible to set, or the tripod could be jammed and when filming this could possibly hinder your performance. Also I have learnt that you should always try your equipment out perform you go off site to perform because if you are missing something, or something is not working properly, you probably waste time in going back to get the equipment or change equipment which again may waste valuable time.

No comments:

Post a Comment